Friday, July 15, 2011

Epic Vacation Part 4: Six Flags St. Louis & SERC #9--Huntsville, Alabama (7/10/11)

On the way out of Breckenridge, we stopped here to check out the view and take a picture with this sign, before starting the next part of our road trip. 

After spending the night in a motel somewhere in Missouri, my parents surprised my brother and I with a day trip to Six Flags St. Louis. We were really excited. I was excited because I'd never been to Six Flags, and Ryan was excited because he went to Six Flags Atlanta on a school trip and loved it.
We went on all kinds of cool roller coasters and water rides. It was extremely hot that day, but fortunately the lines were extremely short, so we got on the rides right away, and sometimes we even got to stay on and continue riding as many times as we wanted. My favorite rides were the wooden roller coasters.

Believe it or not, my dad even managed to put together a short video of our experience at Six Flags using footage he took with his phone.

The next day we arrived in Huntsville, Alabama for SERC #9. When we got there it was raining and my parents were concerned about tent camping in a potential thunderstorm, so they got a cabin for the first night. It was pretty awesome!
All the cabins were along the crest of one mountain overlooking the valley below. It's hard to see in the picture because everything was still hazy from the rain.
On Saturday we pre-rode the 9.5 mile course. It started out a slight uphill climb on a paved road and then turned off into single-track. The first section was very rocky and a little bit scary in places, but once we got past that it wasn't too bad, until we hit a crazy, rocky downhill with tight switchbacks that also were a little scary. The last mile of the course was another gradual uphill climb on pavement, before going back into a short single-track to the finish. I thought it was kind of a cool course and I was looking forward to the race.

Our friend Jane took this picture along the trail.

Mr. Donovan talks over strategy with Lily.

The kids' course included the first section of road, but turned the opposite direction into the last bit of single-track to the finish. It was short, so we did more laps. I did 5. The girls and the 6-8 year old boy did 3.

I was the only one in my class, so Trent bet me that I couldn't lap his sister, Lily. The girls started about 30 seconds after me, so that was quite a challenge, but I took it. And guess what? I did it. I actually managed to lap Lily on the third lap. I don't think she was very happy about that.

The video of the kids' race is below.

The juniors' race was pretty exciting. There were 8 of us this week. I went into the woods in 6th place, but worked my way past a few other boys to finish in third. Trent finished right behind me again to take 4th. It felt great to get up on the podium again!!


This weekend was really fun for my family because not only did I get 3rd, but my dad won his race, and my mom even got on the podium for 3rd.

This weekend we'll be in Helen, Georgia for the last race of the GSC series. I hope to do well enough to secure a top-3 overall finish for the Georgia series. The banquet and awards ceremony is right after the race. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment