Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trek Demo Day at Santos Trailhead


Today Ocala Bicycle Center hosted a Trek Demo Day out at Santos Trailhead in Belleview. My mom, dad and I met my dad's friend Dave over there to test out some bikes. We got there pretty early and already people had taken out several bikes to ride. My dad just got a new EX 9.9 in November, which was one of the models they had available to demo, so he chose to ride a different bike, and Dave took out an EX 8. It was Dave's first time on the trails, so he was having a hard time keeping up and we had to ride slower for him. He really liked the bike though.


For some reason, they only had one woman's bike available and my mom had to wait a while for a turn. Dave, Dad and I went ahead and rode a short lap while Mom talked with some of the other people who also were waiting. She met a brother and sister from the UK (England?) who were on vacation and were very impressed with our trails. They think we are lucky to have such great mountain biking so close to home, and I think they are right.

When we got back, Mom went ahead and took out a small men's EX 9.9 just like my dad's and thought she was in heaven. She has an old Cannondale with very little suspension and tough brakes that she says makes her elbows and wrists hurt when she rides. Apparently the newer bike was a huge improvement.


Mom also got to ride a bike called a 29er, meaning it has 29-inch wheels. She said it was like riding a Big Wheel, but really liked how it helped her climb over stuff. My dad thinks it might have been a mistake to take her with us today, since now she knows just what she wants and he will have to win the lottery in order to get it for her. I think he was just kidding.

Unfortunately, because I'm a kid and I just got a new bike, I didn't really get to test out any of the ones there, although I did sneak a quick ride on the EX 9.9 my mom rode and really liked it. (By the way, if Trek ever wants to sponsor a younger racer and maybe donate an EX 9.9 in the process, I'm your guy.) It was really busy and I think the bike shop should be happy with how many people showed up for demo rides. Hopefully they will sell a lot of bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment