Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mountain Bike Mike: OMBA Trailblazer

On Saturday, January 8, more than 20 members of the Ocala Mountain Bike Association got together for a trail construction project. My dad is a member, so my brother and I went with him to help. The plan was to build a new one-mile section of blue trail and a bridge for the start of a new section of red trail.


It was a lot of work!! My brother and I spent from 8:00 until about noon cutting down small trees and bushes, clearing brush, and raking the new trail. The adults carried 2 telephone poles to a gully where they were laid across to form the beginning of a bridge. They said they would come back another time and nail down boards across the poles so that the bikes could get across. It was very cool and I got to be the first person to cross the unfinished bridge. Before we left, we got to eat pizza that OMBA provided to the volunteers. It was a nice way to spend the morning.


Later in the afternoon, my parents and I got to ride the completed trail. Riding it was a lot more difficult than riding the older trails because the dirt was still pretty soft and in some places the trail was a bit harder to see. I think when it has been ridden a lot and the dirt gets packed down more, though, it will be awesome! It was a great feeling to be able to ride on a trail that I helped build and I think everyone who rides should join their local mountain bike club and help with building and maintaining their trails.

As usual, my dad took video of our experience. This one shows us working on the trail and later riding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment