Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Coconut Cup #4--Amelia Earhart Park (1/23/11)

After a 5 week "vacation" from racing, the Coconut Cup-South Florida Series returned to Hialeah for the 4th race of the season. I heard that a lot of work had been done to the trails since the last race there in the beginning of December and I was looking forward to riding the course.

Unfortunately, Miami had gotten a lot of rain during the week and the trail was very wet. Some of the mud, roots and rocks were slippery and there were big puddles and muddy sections. Even with those small annoyances, I could tell that it was a better trail than it was when I last rode it. Plus, the sun was supposed to come out Sunday to help dry it out a bit.

Mom, Dad and I pre-rode the trail on Saturday to prepare for the race on Sunday. I was planning to do the Novice class race, so we practiced a few sections that were very tricky. My mom wrecked pretty bad in one place, so I knew I had to be extra careful there.

Afterwards, we went to our hotel, got cleaned up, and met some racing friends for dinner at a really good Italian restaurant close to the hotel. They have excellent pepperoni pizza, and my brother, Ryan, and I gobbled it up.


Ryan, Trent, Me, Nicho

Sunday morning was cold and misty, but began to look better around race time. Unfortunately for me, several of the boys I race against weren't there for this one. It was still a good race, with Trent and me riding fast and hard, but not quite as fun without Nicho, Vince and Bryce to compete against. Hopefully, they'll all be there next week at Markham Park.

Trent and me before the race
Below is this week's video of the action. The course was longer than usual, about 5 miles, and very fast.



This week I also learned a couple of valuable lessons about racing. Don't stand up on your bike if you want to go faster. I spent a lot of time off my seat on Sunday against Trent and he beat me. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, my dad was right. A bigger gear does not necessarily mean more speed. Fortunately, I am a quick learner and I won't make those mistakes again.


Trent and me after the race. We missed the regular group picture because we were out racing in the white wave.


No comments:

Post a Comment