Wednesday, October 26, 2011

FSC #5--Alachua, Florida (10/23/11)

The fifth race of the FSC took us back to San Felasco Hammock in Alachua, the site of the 8 Hours of Labor race that I did with my friends in September and my very first win in the kids' 9-11 class last year. I was really looking forward to it.

It was super cold in the morning, and I sat under a blanket in front of a heater with several of my friends, trying to stay warm.


This year, the course for the kids' races was longer and included some more trail than last year. I think it was about 4 miles long for us and 2 miles long for the girls and younger kids.

I got into the trail behind Bryce and Nicho, but made the pass on them once we came out of the single-track and on to the grass heading to the finish line on the first lap.
 On the second lap, Bryce, Nicho and Josh had a very exciting sprint to the finish, with Josh crossing the line ahead of Nicho and Bryce to take second place. Look at the determination on his face. Now, that's what racing is all about!!

As always, the Juniors 11-14 race was super-competitive. We had a large group with 17 lining up for the start. The starting line was not very wide, so we were jammed really close together, making it a little bit scary coming off the line. In fact, I think Trent and I might've bumped handlebars at the start.



As you can see from the pictures, I didn't get a great start off the line. I think I was about 9th or 10th going into the single-track. I made the mistake of sitting on some wheels when I should've passed, and got held up by some of the women (but NOT Madison), who either don't like to let the boys pass, or don't have enough experience letting people by, but otherwise, I think I rode a really good race. I still came in 8th (AGAIN!!! Ugh...), but I felt like I rode well most of the time.
Adam, Jacob, and Dustin

Eric and Me

Troy
Nicho and Vince
Bryce
Near the end of the last lap I started cramping up really bad in my legs and unfortunately, it cost me one spot when I got passed coming into the finish. My mom took me to get checked out by a medic, because it was hurting so badly I was crying, but there wasn't really anything he could do to help. My dad video recorded it and included it on the video (so embarrassing). 







You can watch all the race action from the Juniors 11-14 race in the video below.



Next week, we have a break from racing, but my mom and I are planning to do the Ride of the Living Dead across 50 miles of the Santos Trails here in Ocala. So, if you plan to be out riding on Saturday morning....be afraid....be VERY afraid. Muahaha!!

1 comment: