Monday, June 20, 2011

My First Real Pay Day!! GSC #5--Columbus, GA (6/19/11)

Father's Day weekend took my dad and I to Columbus, Georgia for the fifth GSC race. Our friend Dave joined us for our guys only weekend. Before we got to the trails to ride, we stopped for gas at a place called Mike's Market Too. Since the store was obviously named after me, I thought they might give me some candy for free. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I had to pay my $2.75 just like everyone else. LOL!



After the pre-ride, we went to a pizza place called the Mellow Mushroom for some carb-loading. The three of us were so hungry we totally downed this whole pizza. Ok, I know the pizza looks gigantic, but it was just the way my dad took the picture. We're not THAT piggish!

The next morning we showed up to the park bright and early as usual to get set up and warmed up before the kids' races. One thing we noticed as it got closer to time for the races was that there were hardly any kids there. In fact, there were only 5 kids total and no girls at all. So for the second week in a row, there was only 2 of us in the 9-11 year old class. I think a lot of kids (and dads) probably skipped this race because it was Father's Day. Even with so small a number of kids, my dad still put together a video. He says the videos of the little kids are his favorite to make.


Also, for the second week in a row, the white wave went off at 11:30. Holy cow, was it hot!! It felt like it was 1000 degrees out there. The course was mostly wide open with very little shade and wound through a disc golf course. This was great for the spectators, who could follow the racers at many points on the course, but not so good for riders racing in the middle of the day.

Even though it was very hot, it was still a good race. The Juniors class had 9 people at the line. When Dave gave the 5-second countdown, my 5 seconds was faster than his and I jumped early at the start, which made me stop quick and start again. This cost me time at the very beginning and I was at the back of the pack for a while. Over the course of the race, other riders crashed, or walked up hills, and I was able to pass them. By about the middle of the race, I figured I was in 5th or 6th place and I knew Dustin was in first.

I guess I lost track of where I was compared to the other riders, because at the end, people were telling me that I was in third and I thought they were mistaken. Sure enough, when the results came out, I took 3rd place, behind Dustin and his cousin. Boy, was I excited! It wasn't until we got home and watched the video from the helmet cam that I finally saw how I actually got there.

Getting on the podium is always a great feeling. This time was even better because of the awards that were given out by the bike shop that sponsored the race. Usually, the top finishers get a goodie bag with prizes like shirts, water bottles, tires, gloves, and other cool bike stuff. This time, we got cash. Actually, we got a big check, and mine was for $35. It was totally awesome and made me feel like a pro mountain biker. Watch out Drew and Ryan! In another 5-10 years.......

Dad got a check for coming in first in his class too.

Next weekend is a combination SERC#8/GSC make-up race in Clemson, South Carolina, and the beginning of our 2 week family vacation/road trip. We'll be going from Florida to South Carolina, out to Colorado for the Firecracker 50 that my dad is racing in, some sight-seeing, visiting with friends, and casual riding. Then it's back east to Huntsville, Alabama for SERC #9, and finally home. It should be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment