Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SERC/US Cup East #1--Gainesville, Florida (3/20/11)

The SERC/US Cup East Series started last weekend with the first race taking place at Haile's Trails in Gainesville. It's been about a month since the last race of the Coconut Cup and I was ready to get back into series racing. My goal is to win the series for the 9-11 year olds and to possibly place in the Juniors 11-14 class.

It was a very damp and foggy start to the kids race and I got covered from head to toe in mud.














I wanted to get a good start going into the woods and I did. I got out in front and stayed there all three laps. Even though I got a little tired, I didn't stop because I really wanted to win this race. At the end, I came in first, with my friend Bryce taking second. I was really excited!

You can watch the video of the kids' race below.


This week, my friend Kyley, who was my partner at the 12 Hours of Santos, raced in her first solo race in the girls class. She did great and came in second place! We were all very proud of her.

Kyley at the start of the race. She's the one in blue.

My dad put together a special video of the girls race and the 6-8 year olds' races.


Right after the kids' races were done, I had to get ready to line up for the Juniors' 11-14 race. I was pretty nervous about this one because I didn't pre-ride the whole course the day before. We had been at the airport or on a plane from 8:30 Friday night until 11:30 Saturday morning and we went straight to Haile's Trail from the Jacksonville airport. Kyley and her uncle met us there with our bikes. I was so tired I could barely even ride it and had to bail out half way through, but my mom convinced me that I should at least give the race a try because it would be good experience racing the longer distance against older kids. So I did, and it was tough!


I started out in 5th behind my friend Trent, and with Bryce right behind me, but I think all the traveling from Colorado the day before started to get to me. I got very tired and frustrated during the second lap and couldn't make it up hills that I was able to climb on the first lap. I came in dead last (which was really disappointing!), but at least I finished the race and had a win earlier. Trent and Bryce both made it to the podium--Trent in 3rd and Bryce in 5th.
My dad and I both got first place finishes. It was my dad's first time finishing in first. He was so happy. You can watch the video of his race at mtbmike.com
In 2 weeks we travel to North Carolina for the second SERC race. I can't wait to try mountain biking on actual mountains! Wish me luck.





No comments:

Post a Comment