Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Coconut Cup #6/South Florida Series Championship Finale--Oleta River State Park (02/13/11)


The last race of the Coconut Cup took place at Oleta River State Park in North Miami Beach, Florida. We got to Oleta on Saturday to pre-ride the course. It was our first time riding there and we had heard that it was a rooty, rocky trail, and sure enough, it was.


The day was kind of gray, windy, and chilly, so we didn't spend a lot of time at the park on Saturday. When we went back to the parking lot, Trent's sister, Lily, climbed up a tree and got the surprise of her life when she came face to face with this cute little guy. He was probably more scared than her at first, but he seemed to get used to us and all the moms taking his picture.



The  race itself was not one of my best. I fell off a
bridge near the beginning and that got me in a bad mood for the rest of the race (which didn't make things better). I also slipped on some loose rocks later and was mad at myself for messing up. Some good things did happen though. Nicho was back to race, after hurting his ankle several weeks ago and missing the last 2 races while it healed. Also, Bryce got a good start and finished in third place behind Nicho. Unfortunately, I came in fourth.

 
After the white and yellow wave classes were done, there was a picnic and overall awards for the season. Trent had a perfect season with 6 first place finishes, I came in second, and Bryce got third. The prizes were really cool! We got a plaque as a trophy and a jersey. Mine is a bright yellow and Bryce got red. We wanted to trade, because he liked mine better and my favorite color is red, but his mom didn't want us to, so we ended up keeping the ones we got. I also got a pair of long gloves (which will come in handy when I race in the SERC series starting next month), some new handlebar grips, and a new tire. I feel like a professional racer with all this stuff! It was another great season and I hope to see everybody again at more races in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment