Friday, March 28, 2014

2014 Fontana National (3/22-23/14)

Casey took 3rd in the Pro Super D & I took 2nd in the 18 & Under Open
Guarding the trade secrets at the Oakley HQ
After having such great results at Bonelli, I was super excited to line up again at Fontana. Unfortunately, I had to wait a whole week to do it. Lucky for me, there were lots of things to do around Los Angeles during that time. We rode some different trails, visited family friends, and even got to go to the Oakley Intergalactic Headquarters for a tour, courtesy of Steve Blick, and also got to ride a few laps around their company pump track out back.

Shredding it on the Oakley pump track
I really enjoyed the course at Fontana! The terrain consisted of fun, technical climbs, and awesome rocky descents.

Waiting for my turn at the Super-D with Kate and Casey

On Saturday, I decided to do the Super-D race again. I did one last pre-ride lap of the course with Casey Williams and Kate Courtney. While bombing down the course, there was a spot in which there were two lines separated by a little sand dune. My front wheel went down the inside line, my back wheel decided to take the outside, and I slid out, scraping up my leg in the process.

After my 2nd place finish at Bonelli the week before, I was anxious to see if I could win it this time. When I went off the start, I could feel all the adrenaline rushing through my body. Right after the 2nd turn, both of my feet twisted out, causing me to unclip from my pedals. I started waddling over some rocks in order to keep moving forward, while simultaneously trying to get clipped back in. Once I got clipped in again, the rest of the ride went smoothly. I finished 2nd in the race, (again) behind an older Junior from Canada. In fact, 4 of the top 5 finishers were Canadian.
Super-D Podium

My XC race was on Sunday. I really, really, REALLY wanted to compete in the Cat 1 race on Saturday, but after many emails and phone calls to USAC officials, I was denied an exemption from the rule that says 14 and under racers can't do Category 1 races. Nonetheless, I was still excited to get on the dirt and race. This time, I thought I'd race in the 15-16 Cat 2 class, rather than the 14 and under, even though we were all starting together.

Leading the XC race after the start

I was first off the line, attacking off the get-go and opening a gap right away. On the climbs I was able to pick my way through lap traffic, but on the descents I was forced to slow down behind other racers, as there were few opportunities to pass. This was pretty much what I did for all three laps, until I took the win at the finish.


Crossing the finish line
Even though I wasn't able to do the Cat 1 XC race, I was allowed to compete in the Cat 1 open short track race that started about an hour and a half after the finish of my XC race.

Short Track hole shot
I took the hole shot off the start, but got passed shortly after. I rode in third for a lap or two before Nicholas Jenkins passed me and I rode his wheel. After a couple of laps, I passed him back on a climb. I stayed in third for a few more laps (one lap too many, obviously) before my legs explodinated (that's exploded + detonated) and I began working my way backwards through the pack, settling for 6th place, despite a last ditch attempt to catch 5th before the finish.

Once again, I just want to thank Dario Frederick and the Whole Athlete Team for providing all their support, and Head Mechanic/Bike Wizard, Josh Snead, for everything he does for the team.

2 comments: