Wednesday, November 9, 2011

FSC #6/CC #1 (Cross Country Race)--Sunrise, Florida (11/6/11)

After the excitement of the short track race the day before, I was ready for some cross country racing on Sunday. A brief downpour just before the start time had me concerned that the kids' races might either get postponed, or have to be run in the rain. Luckily, we all only had to huddle under the canopies for a few minutes before the cloud passed, the rain went away, and Dave announced that it was time for the kids to line up for the start.
Lately, the Kids 9-11 race has been getting pretty interesting. There have been some new boys racing this season that are keeping everyone on their toes. Last race, it was Josh that led a great sprint to the finish. This week, it was Ethan who took off from the starting line like he was riding a motorcycle instead of a bike. He took us all by surprise when he created a big gap, which caused Nicho, Alex, Bryce and I to wake up and chase him down.
The course was a lot different from last year. This time, we started on a dirt road inside the gate to the trails, did a short parade lap around the lake, came through the finish line, and then went into the single-track. In fact, it was the same course as the short track lap.
Josh
Cole
Alex

Bryce
Shelby
Nicho, me, and Bryce
Everyone says that the race course at Markham Park is one of the hardest of the FSC and CC series. I think it is probably one of my favorites. The bridges and other obstacles make it really fun to ride, and when I lined up for the start of the Juniors' race, I had my sights set on making it to the podium.
The start of the 11-14 race
In the beginning, it seemed that we were just out for a group ride. The pace was quick, but not all-out fast and we swapped positions in a way that is similar to riding the pace-line. Once we passed through the finish line at the end of the parade lap, though, the race really seemed to start.
Adam went into the woods first and never looked back. He stayed out in front the whole race. Only the boys behind him swapped spots.
Vince
Eric
When the race was over, Adam had gotten his first win in the FSC and Coconut Cup on his home turf. He was super excited and I was happy for him because he's a very nice guy. Unfortunately, my ending wasn't quite as happy. I came soooo close to a podium, but I lost my focus after passing one of the women on the first lap and fell on a rock. There went 5th place, as three guys passed me and I spent the rest of the race trying to get those spots back. I was able to catch and pass two of them, but I just ran out of time to catch Francisco and he took 5th place, while I got sixth. I was super bummed, but I know that I have to ride a perfect race against these guys if I want to get that medal.

See for yourself in this week's race video.



Doing a little post-race bonding
See you next week in Lakeland, Florida for FSC #7!

**Mountain Bike Mike would like to thank Mrs. Kovi & Ms. Jackie for a couple of the photos I "borrowed" for this post.




2 comments:

  1. Awesome job on your race!!! Actually, I'm blown away at how fast you have gotten. So...no worries, with your drive and hard work, I can guarantee that you will get that podium finish you have been training for. (And thanks for motivating me to get out there and do some training of my own.)See you at Lakeland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Madison. See you at Lakeland too!

    ReplyDelete