Saturday, May 21, 2011

4th Annual Frank Polack Memorial Bike Ride Benefiting Hospice of Marion County (5/21/11)

If you follow my blog, you know that this weekend is a race-free weekend. However, that doesn't mean that it is a ride-free weekend.

Getting everyone together at the start

Today, Dad, Mom, and I came out to ride with a couple hundred other people to help raise money for Hospice of Marion County. There were 3 different routes and lengths of rides that people could choose from--30, 62, and 80 miles. We chose to do the 30 mile route, so my dad could take pictures for the MTBMike.com facebook page, and so my mom and I didn't fall over from exhaustion.

Our local bike shop, Ocala Bicycle Center, had a lot of people turn up, so everyone with an OBC jersey got together for a group picture before the ride. My mom and I share a jersey, so she wasn't able to be in the group picture. Poor Mom!


Can you spot me in this picture? ^^

 Everybody riding started at the same time in one gigantic group. At different points in the ride, the 62 and 80 mile riders went a separate way to ride their own course. It was fun and I got to do a lot of sprinting once the group spread out some.

For the longer rides there were up to 4 SAG stops. There was only one on our ride, and it was a couple of miles past the half way point. SAG stops are basically rest areas, like you have on the highway, where riders can get something to eat and drink, and use the restroom.

SAG stop number 1

At the SAG stop we were at, there were 2 horses that we were allowed to pet. One of them was a real poser and would hold his head up and look right at the camera whenever someone was taking a picture. I think his name was Zodiak.




Once we were rested, we got back on our bikes and rode the rest of the way back to the Hospice Center. It was a much faster ride back because my dad rode out in front and let my mom and me draft him. We were flying past a lot of other people and ended up being one of the first groups back to the start. That was a good thing, too, because we were able to take advantage of the massage therapists that had set up tables inside and were giving free massages. Too bad we can't have massages after EVERY ride!!

Overall, it was a great event and the money raised is going to a good cause. I hope next year even more people will participate in the Frank Polack Memorial Ride.


Dad and I both wore our helmet cams during the ride, so expect to see a video coming soon on MTBMike.com and youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment