Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Single Speed Intergalactic Championship--Ocala, Florida (3/25/12)

Yesterday, I got to compete in my first-ever single speed event--The 2012 Single Speed Intergalactic Championship!! It was awesome!

First of all, GoneRiding.com was holding the event only a few minutes away from my house, so I didn't have to get up super early to get there. Secondly, the temperature was perfect and the trails were in great shape. Somehow though, between the time that some people pre-rode the course that morning at about 8:30 and the time the race started (about 9:00), a big tree fell right across the trail and took everyone by surprise when it was just suddenly "there." I guess that's what people mean when they say the trail is constantly changing. I just don't think they meant that it would change THAT fast!

Jeff
Anyway, the SSIC turned out to be a fairly small race compared to the series races, but it was really fun! I raced in the Base Men category and was the youngest rider at the event.

Eli


















Eli and I had a friendly rivalry going, but he was determined not to let me pass. Eventually he let me go around and I finished in first.




Regan Woodall won a close Expert race and also got the fastest lap, so he got a little extra "bling" to show off for pictures.

 Miss Terri made some awesome barbecue sandwiches, baked beans and pasta potato salad for everyone to chow down on after the race while we waited for race results.


Mr. Dave made really cool trophies for all of the winners out of old sprockets that had been on bikes he owned at one time. Plus, for winning my class, I also got a case of beer. (Which really means Mom and Dad got a case of beer--haha!)

















My dad also made the podium and took home a trophy for placing third in the 40+ class.



The SSIC was just a really fun race and I hope a lot more people will come out for it next year!!



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mike!!! Super cool trophy...I want one.

    ReplyDelete