Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mountain Bike Mike Goes Roadie at the Ocala Stage Race--Day One (9/17/11)

Since this weekend was an off-week for the FSC series, my dad and I traded dirt for asphalt and entered the Ocala Stage Race, a road race made up of 3 stages over 2 days: an individual time trial sandwiched between 2 longer road races.

I was really excited! I had competed in one road race before, and I did ok, but I really wanted to do better this time. During the week, I went on the bike shop group ride and got to practice riding the pace-line, which helped a lot during the beginning of the first 12-mile race, when we were all riding together.

Near the middle of the race, two of the bigger boys broke away and took off. 
First 2 finishers

Then a third and fourth boy took off and I wanted to catch them, but the group wouldn't work together to reel them in and I ended up pulling everyone. When I moved aside to let someone else take the lead, nobody came forward and we slowed way down, which let those two just get farther and farther ahead. I decided to try to catch up on my own, but I wasn't able to make up the time.
3rd place finisher

4th place finisher
5th place finisher

By the time I got to the 2K mark (2000 meters to the finish), one of the bigger boys behind me had caught up and was making a move to pass. I tried to turn on the jets to sprint to the finish and prevent him from passing me, but unfortunately, I got really bad stomach cramps and had to coast down the last hill. I ended up finishing in 6th place overall, but 2nd in my age group (10-12).









Later in the afternoon, I competed in the individual time trial. Unlike last weekend's mountain bike race, where I was the very last person to start, I was the very first person to go off this time. The course was just 2.5 miles out and back, and all I had to do was go as fast as I could. Easy breezy!
I had kind of an awkward start. The marshall held my bike until the timer said I could go. Unfortunately, he kept tilting it to the side and I didn't have my balance steady at the beginning. Fortunately, it wasn't such a problem that I couldn't get started. I finished the 5 mile lap in just under 14 minutes, with an average speed of 20.5 mph. I felt pretty good about my time until I heard it announced that people were doing it in 12 minutes, then 11, then 10, and someone even broke the 10 minute mark.
Still though, my time was good enough for a second place finish, which is pretty good for a mountain biker, I think.

What's even better is that one of the guys my dad mountain bikes with a lot, Donnie, actually did the time trial on his mountain bike. His time was pretty good too. Way to go, Donnie!!

So, after 2 stages of the race are complete, I'm in 2nd place overall. My finish in the last race will determine how I finish for the entire weekend. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment